How to successfully transfer your external account to Wealthfront
Log into your Wealthfront account and click “Bring over investments” on the transfers page. If any action must be taken prior to the transfer, we will let you know at that time.
In-kind transfers are completed through an automated process that typically takes 5-10 business days, and must be initiated by the receiving firm (Wealthfront in this case).
To ensure a successful transfer:
1. The account types must match on both sides. For example: if you have a Roth IRA at your current firm you will need to make sure that you have a Roth IRA at Wealthfront to receive the funds. [There are a few exceptions to this rule.]
2. The account title must match on both sides. This means that your name, Social Security Number, and address must match on both sides. Please make sure that the account title on file with your current firm is updated if you legally changed your name or recently moved.
3. Remove or leave positions that are not compatible with your Wealthfront account. See a full list of investments you cannot transfer here.
4. Please make sure there are no restrictions on your account. If you have a managed account, your current firm may prevent the account transfer while you are still enrolled in their service. If you have questions about this please contact your current account representative and make sure that your account is ready to transfer out.
5. Please make sure that there is no pending activity in your account during the transfer or immediately before you submit the request. If you make trades, withdraw, or deposit cash during the transfer this will likely cause your current firm to reject the transfer. Please make sure that all trades are settled and all repeating withdrawals/deposits are canceled prior to initiating the transfer.
6. Please make sure that all margin debt and fees are resolved with your current firm. We do not accept accounts with debits.
This communication has been prepared solely for informational purposes only. Nothing in this communication should be construed as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation to buy or sell any security or a financial product. Any links provided to other server sites are offered as a matter of convenience and are not intended to imply that Wealthfront or its affiliates endorses, sponsors, promotes and/or is affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, or endorses any information contained on those sites, unless expressly stated otherwise.
Wealthfront offers a free software-based financial advice engine that delivers automated financial planning tools to help users achieve better outcomes. Investment management and advisory services are provided by Wealthfront Advisers LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser, and brokerage related products are provided by Wealthfront Brokerage LLC, a member of FINRA/SIPC.
Wealthfront, Wealthfront Advisers and Wealthfront Brokerage are wholly owned subsidiaries of Wealthfront Corporation.
© 2020 Wealthfront Corporation. All rights reserved.
Comments are moderated prior to publication
Still need help?
Our support team has your back.Contact us