To transfer funds from another brokerage account to Wealthfront, the minimum transfer amount is $100. We require this minimum for two reasons:
- The funds we invest in generally trade in increments ranging from $30 to $120, so we might not be able to invest your money if you transfer less than $100.
- Many other brokerage firms charge transfer fees – sometimes up to $100 – and we think you shouldn’t lose your money just because you want to switch to a new brokerage.
To move an account to Wealthfront with less than $100, follow these steps:
If your account is a taxable investment account:
- Liquidate your account at the current firm. Note: selling your investments is a taxable event. To learn how this may impact your taxes, consult a tax advisor.
- Withdraw your liquidated funds to a bank account.
- Log in to Wealthfront and schedule a bank transfer for an amount equal to or greater than the Wealthfront minimum ($500 for initial funding, $100 for deposits to an existing Wealthfront account).
If your account is a tax-advantaged account (e.g., 401(k), IRA, 529), we recommend consulting a tax advisor before proceeding.
This communication has been prepared solely for informational purposes only. Nothing in this communication should be construed as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation to buy or sell any security or a financial product. Any links provided to other server sites are offered as a matter of convenience and are not intended to imply that Wealthfront or its affiliates endorses, sponsors, promotes and/or is affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, or endorses any information contained on those sites, unless expressly stated otherwise.
Wealthfront offers a free software-based financial advice engine that delivers automated financial planning tools to help users achieve better outcomes. Investment management and advisory services are provided by Wealthfront Advisers LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser, and brokerage related products are provided by Wealthfront Brokerage LLC, a member of FINRA/SIPC.
Wealthfront, Wealthfront Advisers and Wealthfront Brokerage are wholly owned subsidiaries of Wealthfront Corporation.
© 2020 Wealthfront Corporation. All rights reserved.