In general, you can transfer most U.S. stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds quickly and easily through our automated transfer process. After linking your external account, our software will review your portfolio and show you which investments you can transfer to Wealthfront.
You cannot transfer the following types of investments because we can’t convert them to your Wealthfront portfolio in an automated way:
- Low-priced stocks that do not trade on an exchange (sometimes referred to as “Penny Stocks”)
- Mutual funds for which we do not have a selling agreement with the mutual fund issuer.
- Individual Bonds and other fixed income products issued by an individual company, organization, or governmental body. Note: This does not include bond ETFs or mutual funds
- Annuities and other insurance products
- Options and other derivative securities
- Unit Investment Trusts (UITs)
- Any other product that is not actively traded on a U.S. exchange, including private investments, foreign stocks, hedge funds, and many REITs.
If you’d like to transfer any of these unsupported investments, you’ll first need to sell them at your other firm and transfer the cash proceeds (check with your other firm for any applicable fees for selling your investments). Note: selling investments may be a taxable event, so consult a tax advisor before selling investments.