Which tax documents will I receive for my account?

For individual, joint, and trust Automated and Stock Investing Accounts, you will receive a Consolidated Form 1099 including details of dividends paid (Form 1099-DIV) and security sales (Form 1099-B), if there were any such transactions in your account for that tax year. If there were no security sales or dividends paid into your account, you will not receive a Form 1099. This is most often the case if you opened the account near the end of the year. Most likely this form will be available around the third week of February.  We'll email you as soon as it is available.

For individual, joint, and trust Cash Accounts, you will receive a 1099 tax form if your cash account generated more than $10 of interest in the previous calendar year or received $600 or more in awards. Most likely this form will be available on January 31st.  We'll email you as soon as it is available.

Retirement accounts, including Traditional, Roth, and SEP IRAs, will receive a Form 1099-R only if a distribution (withdrawal) was made during the year. If you made contributions (deposits) to your IRA account for the tax year, you will receive a Form 5498 detailing those contributions in May. If you made no contributions to your IRA for the year and took no distributions, you will not receive tax documents for your retirement account. 

You can contribute to an IRA or Roth IRA account for the previous year up until the April tax filing deadline, so these forms won't be available until the end of May or possibly later, but you should still include any IRA or Roth IRA contributions when filing your taxes. Read more about Form 5498 for IRAs here.

For 529 College Savings Plan accounts with any distributions/withdrawals, we’ll post a 1099-Q.

Corporate accounts are reported according to the tax classification of the corporation (e.g., C-Corp, S-Corp, Single-member LLC) you selected when opening the account. Any applicable tax documents generated for your corporate account will be posted to your Taxes & Documents page. For many corporate tax classifications, the IRS requires that the corporation report any taxable transactions directly, in which case you will not receive a Form 1099 or similar document from Wealthfront. Instead, your accountant or tax preparer will likely rely on the detail provided in your monthly account statements and/or trade confirmations, also available on your Taxes & Documents page.

Watch this video to understand which forms you need to file: Understanding the tax forms.

Was this article helpful?

This communication has been prepared solely for informational purposes only. Nothing in this communication should be construed as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation to buy or sell any security or a financial product. Any links provided to other server sites are offered as a matter of convenience and are not intended to imply that Wealthfront or its affiliates endorses, sponsors, promotes and/or is affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, or endorses any information contained on those sites, unless expressly stated otherwise.

Wealthfront offers a free software-based financial advice engine that delivers automated financial planning tools to help users achieve better outcomes. Investment management and advisory services are provided by Wealthfront Advisers LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser, and brokerage related products are provided by Wealthfront Brokerage LLC, a member of FINRA/SIPC.

Wealthfront, Wealthfront Advisers and Wealthfront Brokerage are wholly owned subsidiaries of Wealthfront Corporation.

© 2020 Wealthfront Corporation. All rights reserved.