Once you've logged in:
- Select the prompt to set up your Autopilot plan on the main dashboard below your net worth graph.
- Choose where you want to save: Select your current Wealthfront account(s) and cash categories, or create a new category.
- Set targets for your account(s). Autopilot will save into each account until the target is reached, then start saving in the next account you have selected.
- Choose the account you’ll use to fund your plan. This can either be a Wealthfront Cash Account, or a linked external checking account. Then choose how much money you want to keep in that account. When its balance exceeds the set threshold by at least $100, we’ll schedule a transfer to your other accounts.
- Choose when you want Autopilot to check for excess cash.
- Turn on your Autopilot plan.
When money comes in, we’ll move it across your accounts according to your plan. You’ll have 24 hours to review and cancel a scheduled transfer before it initiates. You can make changes to your plan at any time. Learn more
Setting targets for your accounts and categories
You can set two types of targets for each account and category in your plan:
- Monthly target: Save up to a certain amount each calendar month (ex: Save up to $500/month)
- Target balance: Save up to a total amount in an account or category (ex: Save up to $20,000)
One-time and recurring transfers will count towards any monthly targets that you set. Keep in mind that reaching your targets is not guaranteed, since it will depend on how much excess cash you have available in the account you use to fund your plan.
To edit your targets, go to your plan, and select the account or category that you want to update. You can edit your targets at any time.
How transfers work
When Autopilot detects that you’re at least $100 over your maximum balance, it will schedule a transfer of your excess cash from your source account to the account and categories in your plan.
You’ll get an email letting you know that the transfer will be initiated after one business day.
Cancel your transfer. You have at least 24 hours to cancel the transfer. Learn more
Initiate your transfer early. You can choose to transfer your excess cash right away. Go to your Autopilot dashboard and select Transfer excess cash now.
Autopilot will check the balance of your source account one more time before initiating your transfer. If your source account is an external checking account, this will be your most recently synced balance within the last 24 hours.
- If your balance has increased or is the same, Autopilot will transfer the same amount.
- If your balance has decreased, Autopilot will only transfer the remaining excess cash (if you have at least $100 in excess cash).
- If Autopilot can’t connect with your source account, then Autopilot will pause your transfer.
Once initiated, transfers usually complete in 1–2 business days. Autopilot will resume monitoring your account at least 24 hours after your transfer is complete.
How does Autopilot help me avoid overdrafts?
Cash Account and Autopilot is offered by Wealthfront Brokerage LLC (“Wealthfront Brokerage”), a member of FINRA/SIPC. Neither Wealthfront Brokerage nor any of its affiliates are a bank, and Cash Account is not a checking or savings account. We convey funds to institutions accepting and maintaining deposits. Investment management and advisory services are provided by Wealthfront Advisers LLC (“Wealthfront Advisers”), an SEC registered investment adviser, and financial planning tools are provided by Wealthfront Software LLC (“Wealthfront”).
Nothing in this communication should be construed as tax advice, a solicitation or offer, or recommendation, to buy or sell any security. Any links provided to other server sites are offered as a matter of convenience and are not intended to imply that Wealthfront Advisers or its affiliates endorses, sponsors, promotes and/or is affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, or endorses any information contained on those sites, unless expressly stated otherwise.
Wealthfront, Wealthfront Advisers and Wealthfront Brokerage are wholly owned subsidiaries of Wealthfront Corporation.
© 2020 Wealthfront Corporation. All rights reserved.