We currently offer four funding methods, which must originate from a U.S.-based financial institution.
Note that our account minimum is $500 which allows us to provide an optimized allocation across seven or eight asset classes depending on whether it is a taxable or retirement account. The account minimum is $100,000 to take advantage of our Stock-level Tax-Loss Harvesting.
- Deposit Cash (ACH bank transfers): This option lets you move funds directly between a checking or savings account and your Wealthfront account. Once you link your bank account electronically or by identifying two very small deposits that we send to the desired account, we transfer your money electronically and allow you to make additional deposits at any time. In most cases, bank transfers will be deposited into your Wealthfront account within two to three business days.
- Once you have linked a bank account to your Wealthfront account, you will also be able to schedule recurring deposits repeating weekly, biweekly (1st & 15th), or monthly. You can use our repeating deposit feature to set up daily deposits into your Wealthfront account, but we do not recommend it. As a long term investment service, we are not designed for daily cash flows. If you are interested in dollar cost averaging, a weekly, monthly or quarterly deposit is more appropriate.
- Transfer / Rollover: For more information on transferring an account electronically, click here. Fore more information on "rolling over" a 401k or other employer-sponsored plan, click here.
- Wire Transfer: Should you choose this option, you will need to initiate a wire transfer from your bank account to your Wealthfront account. In most cases, the funds will be deposited in your account the next business day after the wire transfer is initiated. Your funds will be invested immediately thereafter. Please note that most banks charge a fee for this service.
- Check (529 accounts only): For 529 college savings plans, you can also fund via checks. This is a common option for funding for family and friends who want to give checks as a gift. Please note that we have a $100 minimum for add on deposits and the initial funding amount is $500.
Wealthfront prepared this article for informational purposes and not as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation to buy or sell any security. Wealthfront and its affiliates may rely on information from various sources we believe to be reliable (including clients and other third parties), but cannot guarantee its accuracy or completeness. See our Full Disclosure for more important information.
Wealthfront and its affiliates do not provide tax advice and investors are encouraged to consult with their personal tax advisor. Financial advisory and planning services are only provided to investors who become clients by way of a written agreement. All investing involves risk, including the possible loss of money you invest. Past performance does not guarantee future performance.
The Wealthfront 529 College Savings Plan ("the Plan") is sponsored by the State of Nevada, acting through the Board of Trustees of the College Savings Plans of Nevada, and administered by the State Treasurer's Office. Ascensus Broker Dealer Services, Inc. serves as Program Manager.