We currently offer four funding methods, which must originate from a U.S.-based financial institution.
Note that our account minimum is $500 which allows us to provide an optimized allocation across seven or eight asset classes depending on whether it is a taxable or retirement account. The account minimum is $100,000 to take advantage of our Direct Indexing service.
- Deposit Cash (ACH bank transfers): This option lets you move funds directly between a checking or savings account and your Wealthfront account. Once you link your bank account electronically or by identifying two very small deposits that we send to the desired account, we transfer your money electronically and allow you to make additional deposits at any time. In most cases, bank transfers will be deposited into your Wealthfront account within two to three business days.
- Once you have linked a bank account to your Wealthfront account, you will also be able to schedule recurring deposits repeating weekly, biweekly (1st & 15th), or monthly. You can use our repeating deposit feature to set up daily deposits into your Wealthfront account, but we do not recommend it. As a long term investment service, we are not designed for daily cash flows. If you are interested in dollar cost averaging, a weekly, monthly or quarterly deposit is more appropriate.
- Transfer / Rollover: For more information on transferring an account electronically, click here. Fore more information on "rolling over" a 401k or other employer-sponsored plan, click here.
- Wire Transfer: Should you choose this option, you will need to initiate a wire transfer from your bank account to your Wealthfront account. In most cases, the funds will be deposited in your account the next business day after the wire transfer is initiated. Your funds will be invested immediately thereafter. Please note that most banks charge a fee for this service.
- Check (529 accounts only): For 529 college savings plans, you can also fund via checks. This is a common option for funding for family and friends who want to give checks as a gift. Please note that we have a $100 minimum for add on deposits and the initial funding amount is $500.
Nothing in this blog should be construed as tax advice, a solicitation or offer, or recommendation, to buy or sell any security. Financial advisory services are only provided to investors who become Wealthfront Inc. clients pursuant to a written agreement, which investors are urged to read carefully, that is available at www.wealthfront.com. All securities involve risk and may result in some loss. For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com or see our Full Disclosure. While the data Wealthfront uses from third parties is believed to be reliable, Wealthfront does not guarantee the accuracy of the information.