Autopilot is a free, simple service that transfers your excess cash to where you want it.
- Set a maximum balance for your checking account or Cash Account.
- When Autopilot detects that you’re over your maximum by at least $100, it will schedule a transfer of your excess cash.
- Your excess cash will go to your Wealthfront account of choice. You’ll have 24 hours to cancel the transfer.
Set up Autopilot
Once you've logged in:
- Select the prompt to set up Autopilot on the main dashboard, then complete the following tasks:
• Choose a Monitored Account. This is the account that Autopilot will monitor. We recommend choosing the account you use for your bills and income. This can be an external checking account or your Wealthfront Cash Account.
• Choose a maximum balance for your Monitored Account. This is the maximum amount of cash you want to hold. We recommend choosing an amount high enough to cover your bills and regular spending.
• Choose a Destination Account. This is where Autopilot will put your excess cash. We recommend choosing a Wealthfront Taxable Investment Account. Learn more
2. Review and confirm your settings
How monitoring works
Autopilot monitors the balance of your Monitored Account and refreshes the balance that you see once or several times a day. The frequency depends on the Monitored Accounts:
- Cash Account: Your balance is checked whenever there is a new transaction.
- External checking accounts: Your balance is checked about once a day.
How transfers work
When Autopilot detects that you’re at least $100 over your maximum balance, it will schedule a transfer of your excess cash from your Monitored Account to your Destination Account.
You’ll get an email letting you know that the transfer will be initiated after one business day.
Cancel your transfer. You have at least 24 hours to cancel the transfer. Autopilot will let you know the exact cutoff time to cancel your transfer. Learn more
Initiate your transfer early. You can choose to transfer your excess cash right away. Go to your Autopilot dashboard and select Transfer now.
Autopilot will check the balance of your Monitored Account one more time before initiating your transfer.
- If your balance has increased or is the same, Autopilot will transfer the same amount.
- If your balance has decreased, Autopilot will only transfer the remaining excess cash (the minimum transfer is $100).
- If Autopilot can’t connect with your Monitored Account, Autopilot will pause your transfer. Your transfer will be initiated only once Autopilot can make sure it won’t overdraft your account.
Once initiated, transfers usually complete in 1–2 business days. Autopilot will resume monitoring your account at least 24 hours after your transfer is complete.
How does Autopilot help me avoid overdrafts?
I need help with Autopilot.
Cash Account and Autopilot is offered by Wealthfront Brokerage LLC (“Wealthfront Brokerage”), a member of FINRA/SIPC. Neither Wealthfront Brokerage nor any of its affiliates are a bank, and Cash Account is not a checking or savings account. We convey funds to institutions accepting and maintaining deposits. Investment management and advisory services are provided by Wealthfront Advisers LLC (“Wealthfront Advisers”), an SEC registered investment adviser, and financial planning tools are provided by Wealthfront Software LLC (“Wealthfront”).
Nothing in this communication should be construed as tax advice, a solicitation or offer, or recommendation, to buy or sell any security. Any links provided to other server sites are offered as a matter of convenience and are not intended to imply that Wealthfront Advisers or its affiliates endorses, sponsors, promotes and/or is affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, or endorses any information contained on those sites, unless expressly stated otherwise.
Wealthfront, Wealthfront Advisers and Wealthfront Brokerage are wholly owned subsidiaries of Wealthfront Corporation.
© 2020 Wealthfront Corporation. All rights reserved.